Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: Rematch - Janine Caldwell

Rematch
Janine Caldwell
Series: Vortex Series, #1
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, SciFi
Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars
Word Rating: Excerpt from a Preteen's Journal
On Goodreads

Hey, everyone! I'm reading the Vortex series as part of a book tour and when I read what this book was about, I was so excited to get to read it. Rematch switches between the point of view of Trent Astor, who can jump through time, and Cassie Moore, a girl Trent was supposed to save on a mission that went askew. The premise was so promising, but when I read the book, I thought it fell a bit short of what it could have been.

My main qualm is the writing. I know it's supposed to be from the point of view of 18 year olds, but they sound more like preteens whining in their journals. Both of them. Even though Cassie and Trent are pretty different, they both sound exactly the same in their narration and I found myself getting confused about who was speaking every so often. This wouldn't be as bad if the writing itself didn't sound so juvenile but it did. I felt myself getting so annoyed with Cassie and her internal ramblings. I also thought the way she described people was kindof bland -- she mostly just listed attributes. She describes her best friend Kelli as "a petite bomb shell with a pug nose and squinty alluring eyes that have most guys drooling in her general direction." I don't know about you, but a pug nose and squinty eyes in't really a description I would use for someone attractive. She also spends an excessively long time talking about Ally Carter and her boobs and how
"She confidently parades her tan long legs and voluptuous body around like a woman in her twenties. She's like a supermodel with perfectly blown hair in just the right shades of blonde, seductive eyes, full pouty lips and then... there's her bust size. Ugh."
Honestly, the book is just full of subpar dialogue and rambling internal monologues that make it really hard to keep reading.

I also didn't think the supporting characters had any sort of depth to them. Cassie's (ex)boyfriend Jeff was a typical jock. Kelli didn't really do anything except act as a person for Cassie to have conversations with. Everyone except Trent, Cassie, and to an extent, Lorelai, blended into the background and just seemed very static and unnecessary.

Even though I really didn't like the writing style and thought it needed major improvement, the plot of the story kept me going. The stuff about the vortexes and Trent's time travelling abilities was pretty interesting, and I liked how most of the plot played out.

Overall, even though this book wasn't the greatest thing I've ever read, I'm hoping for some improvements in the second book so stay tuned for a review of that next week!

- Noor

If you could travel in time,where and when would you go?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment