Friday, August 11, 2017

Discussion: When Sad Books Become Films

There has been a lot of talk about all the fantastic adaptations that are in the works. Shatter Me, Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, Let It Snow, Fallen, Illuminae, Why We Broke Up. So many adaptations, and  I am excited. But, not I am starting to hear a lot about All the Bright Places, and this got me thinking about what I would like to discuss today:

When Sad Books Become Films

Now, don't get me wrong, I adored All the Bright Places, but this book broke me. It crushed my soul and caused some serious ugly crying. As a matter of fact, tears begin forming in my eyes every time this book comes up, and that is why I know, that I will not be able to see this film in the theatre. Seriously, I watched the trailer and cried.


This has happened to me before. Back when The Fault in Our Stars came out, the WLABBers all went to see it, and I was invited, but I had to decline. Why? Because I cried just about non-stop for the last 30% of that book. I am talking full-on, snotty mess crying. I could never allow this to happen in public. So, I watched this alone, on DVD, in the privacy of my own home. It was as painful as I thought it would be. I couldn't even watch it in one sitting, because I was such a mess.

You would think it would be easier, knowing about the impending tragedy. As if I could fortify myself, prepare myself for the emotional onslaught. But alas, I cannot. I fail every time. It's like when I hear the song, "The Wind Beneath My Wings". Tears. Every. Time.

So, although I am SO EXCITED about ATBP, I will probably will never see this film on the big screen. I read this book back in 2014, and it still stirs such strong feelings of sadness and loss in my heart. I feel like this would be Bambi part 2, when my family was ejected from the theatre, because my sister was hysterical during you-know-what-part.






























What are you feelings on sad books being made into movies?
Do you have a favorite sad book? sad movie?
Let us know in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. Oh man when I saw TFIOS is the theater I was a mess. Full on snot and snobs. It was so bad. I cried every time I read it and watched it. I like the trailer for ATBP but I always feel like they give away too much. But yeah I don't think I like to sob at movie theaters. Better to do at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by what was in the trailer too. Maybe it is like a trigger warning?

      Delete
  2. I am basically a robot and think I would be okay to not cry in the movie theater (I held it in during TFIOS)-- BUT you're right about hearing The Wind Beneath My Wings-- I can't with that movie. Full on tears every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? When they were doing that Beaches re-make, I got misty every time I saw a commercial for it. 😭

      Delete
  3. The Wind Beneath My Wings makes me cry every time I hear it. It reminds me of my grandmother. It is funny, I will read a sad story, but usually skip the movie adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I have yet to see some of my biggest ugly cry adaptations. I don't know if it is because I know I will be a mess or if I am worried that they will not do the story justice. Awww, what a beautiful song to remind you of your grandma. <3

      Delete
  4. Okay, so I haven't read those books you mentioned. I skipped seeing The Fault in our Stars just because I knew it was super sad.

    I always get tears when I listen to "The Wind Beneath My Wings" too. I saw the movie Beaches where that song came from and I break down every time. ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as she hears the open chords of Wind Beneath My Wings, my sister shuts it off because she starts bawling. We are a weepy set of sisters.

      Delete
  5. I thought TFIOS was just okay. I know that I am in the minority with that opinion. My daughter loves the movie but I haven't watched it yet. I do want to read All the Bright Places soon but I am not sure about seeing the movie. I really don't watch a lot of movies or TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also do not watch a ton of TV and I used to go to the movies with my daughter, but she has been far away for 4+ years, so I wait for cable now, but I am always on the verge of watching the movie/TV show, when it is based on a book I really liked.

      Delete
  6. Ugh. I cried so hard when I read this one! :S But. I really feel like I need to reread it. Partly because I want to dull my feelings a bit for when I do watch the movie. But also because I don't remember some of the details?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if my pain will ever be dulled. I cried writing this post. I am a sap!

      Delete
  7. I still haven't watched The Fault in Our Stars. I couldn't do it at the theater, no way. It was such a favorite book but seeing it is different than reading it. I bought the DVD when it came out and even recorded it on my DVr when it was on a couple months ago. Still haven't watched it. lol I was the same with Me Before You but finally watched it a few months ago. I haven't read All the Bright Places yet. I want to and probably will before the movie but I'm sure I'll do the same and wait on the movie a bit. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIFOS was well done. I was glad some of the worst parts of Gus' illness, because that really wrecked me in the book. Was Me Before You good?

      Delete
  8. I 100% agree with you I had to watch The Fault in Our Stars at home knowing I was going to loss it. I find sometimes if I have read the book I begin crying way to soon into the movie because I just know what is going to happen and can't get it under control. Great discussion post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I totally did pre-emptive crying when I watched TIFOS.

      Delete