Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books on the Darker Side

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is a freebie, so I chose..

Books on the Darker Side!

If you asked someone to describe me as a reader, I think the first thing that would come to mind, is my love for the light and fluffy. So, trying to come up with a list of scary books would be difficult for me. Therefore, I am going with books that are a little darker than my normal fare for this halloween top ten list.

















Bad Girls with Perfect Faces
Lynn Weingarten
Series: n/a
Publisher: Simon Pulse

This was a dark and twisted tale of obsession, and we all know that sort of thing never ends well. Weingarten's writing was right on point, deftly capturing the tone and keeping that black cloud hovering as we waited for the other shoe to drop.

The Accident Season
Moïra Fowley-Doyle
Series: n/a
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books

Fowley-Doyle does a masterful job of creating atmosphere. All the trademarks of fall and halloween ooze through the pages of this tale filled with secrets, mystery, and a paranormal touch.

Book of Lies
Terry Teri
Series: n/a
Publisher: Clarion Books

Teri did a great job setting to mood, with the story opening during a storm at a funeral. The mood was well maintained from there, and the change of scenery really kicked it up a notch in this story of witches and a family curse.

Spellbook Lost and Found
Moïra Fowley-Doyle
Series: n/a
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books

This is Fowley-Doyle doing what I expect her to do. This story was haunting and mysterious, as we try to distinguish fact from fiction, the past from the present.

Haunting the Deep
Adriana Mather
Series: How to Hang a Witch, #2
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

This book is not as dark as some of the others, but it has its moments. How could it not. Set in Salem filled with witches, ghost, curses, and spells, it was bound to be a little eerie.

When I Cast Your Shadow
Sarah Porter
Series: n/a
Publisher: Tor Teen

This was my second Porter book, and she puts out some really dark and twisted stuff. Between the ghosts, possessions, and visits to the fringe, I was pretty creeped out.

Tiny Pretty Things
Sona Charaipotra, Dhonielle Clayton
Series: Tiny Pretty Things, #1
Publisher: HarperTeen

I know, this is a book about ballerinas. They were pink tights and tutus, this is true, but this is a look at the ultra competitive side of ballet. These are some demented little dancers, who will wage mental and physical warfare in order to keep their spot in the company. I thought they were quite terrifying.

One Dark Throne
Kendare Blake
Series: Three Dark Crowns, #2
Publisher: HarperTeen

The whole premise of this series, is that these sisters must fight to the death for the throne. One throne, one queen, and the sisters were really out to get each other in this book. They were literally hunting each other.

The Graces
Laure Eve
Series: The Graces, #1
Publisher: Amulet Books

The Graces are a family shrouded in secrets and mystery, and River is a creepy stranger with a sordid past, who wants to become part of their circle. Filled with unlikable characters, and a little bit of magic, it's dark from beginning to end.

The Darkest Corners
Kara Thomas
Series: n/a
Publisher: Delacorte

As with any good psychological thriller, this one maintains a darker tone. This was a tense mystery, which kept me on my toes, throwing twists at us until the very last page.





Do you have a favorite dark(er) book?
Let us know in the comments!

38 comments:

  1. I didn't know Book of Lies was about witches. I totally need to check it out then. I didn't really care much for Spell Book of the Lost and Found but I know I'm the minority on that one. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The focus us more on the curse, but technically witches, and a particular power is wielded by one of the twins

      Delete
  2. I haven't been a big fan of horror books in the past few years, so I can understand your love of light and fluffy stories. One of the more recent dark(er) book I've read that I loved in a car wreck sort of way would have to be Seizing Control By Kylie Hillman. I was expecting something dark, but not as dark as it went :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a few MC books and they all tend to be darker. I guess it is because they are often involved in organized crime.

      Delete
  3. The Accident Season and Spellbook are two of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I loved The Darkest Corners! I really want to read The Accident Season and Spellbook. Both sound great.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read more of Thomas' books, because I liked it so much.

      Delete
  5. I love horror novels, but a dark, psychological thriller is even better. I just finished reading Rachel Caine's Stillhouse Lake and it was pretty dark.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love darker books (not horror, just spooky or psychological thriller type books) and a few of these are on my TBR, so I'm glad to hear you liked them! I actually wasn't a fan of The Accident Season, which disappointed me because it sounded so good.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/top-ten-tuesday-131/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you were disappointed. 😔 Psychological thrillers mess with my head. I love them.

      Delete
  7. I have The Darkest Corners I need to read it asap! I might start that one tonight as my Halloween book! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your list!! Bad Girls with Perfect Faces is going to be my next book!! I LOVE Lynn's writing! Also, I definitely want to read Spellbook for the Lost and Found. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read Bad Girls the other day. I loved it!! I need to go read Weingarten's first book, like my co-blogger told me to.

      Delete
  9. OOh nice! I really enjoyed The Darkest Corners! Still need to read The Accident Season and One Dark Throne! I have also started to get curious about Mather's books! Great list!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked all those books. Mather's books are such an interesting blend of history and paranormal. I have really enjoyed them.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read a single one of your picks. Apparently I'm not usually a fan of books on the darker side, either. LOL Although I have been really intrigued by Three Dark Crowns and keep contemplating trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the TDC series, and I think the second book is even stronger than the first. Most of my darker books were fantasy, but I am sure we have read some if the same darker romances

      Delete
  11. Hm... scary/dark books. I don't read that many, admittedly. I thought Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender was pretty creepy!

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine that book would have to be creepy to live up to that cover

      Delete
  12. The Accident Season is perfect for October. Seeing it on your list makes me want to reread it right now. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had to have that one on the list, because it features Halloween.

      Delete
  13. I don't like horror books, but I do enjoy a good psychological thriller. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you 100%. I don't think I have read one horror book

      Delete
  14. Great list! I love the cover with the lipstick and flies. So creepy.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize there were flies until I made this list. Definitely fits the tone of this twisted tale

      Delete
  15. All of these books sound awesome! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Accident Season was awesome - I need to read her newest book stat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved both Fowley-Doyle's book, so I agree, you need to get to it. 😉

      Delete
  17. These are great choices! I have only read about half of them, but I enjoyed the ones I have read a lot. I need to get to Spellbook of the Lost and Found soon, I am so excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Spellbook and Fowley-Doyle in general. I hope you like it when you read it

      Delete
  18. I am a dark book lover, so I'd be the opposite and would have a hard time making a list of light and fluffy ones lol. I haven't read any of these though, so I'll have to check some of them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a dark book lover, these may seem light and fluffy to you 😆

      Delete