Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Can't-Wait Wednesday: Together at Midnight - Jennifer Castle

Can’t-Wait Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week I can't wait for Together at Midnight!

Together at Midnight
Jennifer Castle
Series: n/a
Release Date: January 2, 2018
Publisher: HarperTeen
Waited on by: Sam
What does it really mean to be kind . . . and why does it sometimes feel like the hardest thing in the world to do? High school senior Kendall, who just returned from a life-changing semester in Europe, and Max, who is drifting his way through a gap year before college, struggle with these questions when they witness a tragic accident in New York City during the holiday season. Racked with guilt, the two accept a dare to perform random acts of kindness to strangers. The challenge pulls these two teens, who have a history together from back home, closer and closer as they explore a vibrant city filled with other people’s stories and secrets.

Kendall and Max can’t deny their growing bond, even though they both have other romantic entanglements and uncertain futures. As the clock counts down on New Year’s Eve, will they find themselves together at midnight?
This book captured my interest for several reasons:
  1. From the cover, I could see that this book was set in NYC. That is my place of brith, and I love reading stories set in, what I consider, my city. 
  2. I am constantly horrified by the things I see in the paper and on social media, and I always think we need more kindness in the world. Therefore, this book being about two teens performing random acts of kindness excited me. 
  3. It's a holiday book! I always love a good holiday read, but I especially love them this time of year, as they get me in a festive mood, and I can use all the help I can get with that. 
  4. These are two people, who seem to be at a crossroads, and I enjoy watching characters struggle with big choices. 
  5. The characters have history. I am a fan of second chances, and getting a peek into characters' shared pasts. 












What are you waiting on?
Let us know in the comments!

34 comments:

  1. I barely heard about this one a few weeks ago but I must read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be a fan of the quieter books, but I have found so many gems that way.

      Delete
  2. Kindness does seem to be a rare commodity in our daily news doesn’t it? This is a wonderful pick Sam! It strikes the right hopeful tone and I cannot wait to read your review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the person who flips to the middle of the paper, trying to find the warm and fuzzy human interest stories. We need more hope, even if it comes in the form of fiction.

      Delete
  3. Oh I like the sound of this one. I've read one by Castle but it's been several years and to be honest it didn't make a big impression on me. I can't remember the story line, her writing style, etc. This definitely sounds like one that's right up my alley, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author is new to me, but I am all over the story.

      Delete
  4. What a great premise - I love the idea that this book is exploring the notion of kindness. Recently on the radio I heard a fascinating discussion where the commentator was saying that if we don't give kindness a higher priority as a society, Humanity won't survive the century...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with that commentator. We spread hate and judgement like butter. I wish people could focus on positive things and give them as much attention. That is why, I escape into books with lovely concepts.

      Delete
  5. Oh I am so excited for this one for pretty much all the same reasons!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one in my TBR pile and I'm trying so hard not to read until closer to its release date but I don't know if I'll make it lol I can't wait to read it for many of the same reasons as you. Holiday books are fantastic as are ones set in NYC. Have you read Jennifer's The Beginning of After? It's such an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first book from this author, but if it goes as well as I think it will, I can only imagine I will want her back catalog.

      Delete
  7. I love a good second chance type book and this one sounds like it will be a really good one too. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second chances, kindness, Christmas in NYC -- what more could I ask for?

      Delete
  8. Kindness is definitely something we could all use more of - great pick! And I love the NYC setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindness is always in style and we don't have enough of it.

      Delete
  9. Cute pick! Not my kind of read but I hope you will love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's cute and contemporary, I probably read it. =)

      Delete
  10. The cover is cute and it sounds like it would be a cute holiday read. And it comes out right in the nick of time. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo, this is new to me! You had me at "holiday book". I feel like there needs to be a looooooot more holiday-themed books in YA. :D I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Sam. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love holiday books, so this was a no-brainer for me.

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you are featuring this book, Sam! I loved the cover for this one and the synopsis as well, we all need random acts of kindness every once in a while. I got lucky enough to read an early copy of this book and it was an amazing holiday read, I have a feeling you will love it as well. I hope so! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an eARC , but I am still working on December books. I am really happy to hear you liked it. Now I am even more excited to read it.

      Delete
  13. Oh this sounds adorable! I'm adding it to my TBR right now. :) Great pick this week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "What does it really mean to be kind" - I like the sound of that! Besides, every holiday read is now welcome on my reading list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trash for holiday books and it's the perfect time of year to read this!

      Delete
  15. Oh, this really does sound like a lovely holiday read. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't heard of this one before but I sounds really good. I hope you enjoy it once you get the chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be reading it in a week or two, so I am hoping it lives up to my expectations.

      Delete
  17. Sounds totally new to me, but I like the cover. Might go on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be reading it before the end of this year, so I hope it's good and let's me close out 2017 on a high note.

      Delete