Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: My Book Legacy

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is...

My Book Legacy!

This week, we were challenged to think of books we would want our future family members to read. My daughter has greatly influenced my book choices, and I have read many of her favorites, but alas, she has not read any of mine. Therefore, I am making this list for my future grandchildren, in hopes that they will appease their Maw Maw and read a book that was either a favorite or very meaningful to me.

Little House in the Big Woods
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Series: Little House, #1
Publisher: HarperCollins

This is a series that defined my childhood. I read the books. I watched the show. I was enamored with the time period and the lifestyle. When I look back now, I love the things the show represents. It's about family, community, and the resilience of the human spirit. The Ingalls family suffered some major setbacks, but they had their faith and each other.

The Secret of the Old Clock
Carolyn Keene
Series: Nancy Drew, #1
Publisher: Grosset & Dunlap

My classmate, Sara Jane, introduced me to these books in elementary school, and I immediately became a Nancy Drew fangirl. I loved that it was a young female, who used her brains to solve so many mysteries, and I want my next generation to have a great role model to look to.

Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective
Donald J. Sobol
Series: Encyclopedia Brown, #1
Publisher: Thomas Nelson

I read these when I was really young. These books delivered a fun and short mystery, which I could try to solve AND I could immediately flip to the back and see if I was right. Instant gratification. I want my grandchildren to be challenged and this is a great way to get them to gather and analyze information in order to draw conclusions.

Winnie-the-Pooh
A.A. Milne
Series: Winnie-the-Pooh, #1
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile

I always loved Pooh, and passed my love of Pooh Bear on my own child, but as an adult, I see these stories in such a different way. I find it quite beautiful that this was Milne's way to connect to his son, and how each character represented part of his son's personality. These stories also highlight things such as being brave and friendship, and these are definitely things I want to pass on.

Clockwork Princess
Cassandra Clare
Series: The Infernal Devices, #3
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

This is an important fandom to my daughter, and she got me hooked on these books, so I think I need to include the Shadowhunters as required reading for my heirs.

Daughter of the Pirate King
Tricia Levenseller
Series: Daughter of the Pirate King, #1
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends

Alosa is so strong and fierce. She not only uses her brawn, but she uses her brains to get out of sticky situations. She is also a leader, and once again, I think it is important to show females in this way.

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Series: n/a
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

This would be a books I would recommend when the children are mostly grown. This is a lovely book about a woman, who realizes that her marriage is slipping through her fingers. She does some soul searching, and in the process, falls back in love with her husband. Then, she digs in and fights to save her marriage and her family. It's an honest look at how relationships can change, and how they take work. I think that is something important to pass on to the next generation.

Wonder
R.J. Palacio
Series: Wonder, #1
Publisher: Knopf

This book is for everyone! It is just a beautiful book that highlights kindness and empathy. It shows that we can be different, but are still the same, which is something I feel we as a society are losing sight of these days.

Anne of Green Gables
L.M. Montgomery
Series: Anne of Green Gables, #1
Publisher: Puffin Classics

Anne had a rough life, but she never let it kill her spirit. I find it very inspiring to read about people, who can get knocked down, time and time again, but they get back up, and keep moving forward.

Oh, The Places You'll Go!
Dr. Seuss
Series: n/a
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers

This book is about life being full of opportunities and possibilities. It's about using your head, and making good choices. The book warns that there will be bumps in the road, but to keep going, to keep taking chances. I want my grandchildren to dream big and not fear taking chances, and I think this book supports those ideas.




What are some books you hope 
your future generations will read?
Let us know in the comments!

46 comments:

  1. I still have Wonder on my reading wishlist of books to obtain and read!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/11/top-ten-tuesday-top-twelve-books-i-want.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder is a must! It is absolute perfection. I feel the tears in my eyes right now

      Delete
  2. Great list! Lots of my own childhood favorites there. Oh, The Places You'll Go! is an especially great one - my son and I both love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are sharing your childhood books with your son. My daughter was always a voracious reader, reading alone before the age of 4. She always picked her own books out. I love and always will love Dr. Seuss. I was very sad to see him getting so much criticism lately, because there are a lot of wonderful messages in his books.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Sam, you're first couple picks took me back several decades. :) I have such memories of checking out the Little House books from my elementary school library (although I never did read the complete series). And my older sister read all the Nancy Drew books and I would borrow (sneak) her copies and read them, too. And I totally remember The Secret of the Old Clock. :) And Winnie the Pooh... a forever favorite. What great picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a great prompt. It made me really nostalgic, and it was fun trying to pick a collection of books that were meaningful, but also span age groups. The Ingalls family was my tribe. I loved them so much growing up. I even got a bonnet like Laura's when we toured all the forts from NY to Canada one summer (yeah, wild and crazy vacations filled my childhood).

      Delete
  4. I love the characters of Anne of Green Gables and Nancy Drew and the adventures of the Little House family. I hope your grandchildren will get to share these books with you and more!

    Here’s my list: https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/11/books-children-should-know-great.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I learn about Montgomery, the more I understand and admire the characters she created. I just think they are great examples of resilient people. Hopefully, when I have grandchildren, they will live nearby, so I can read these books with them.

      Delete
  5. Yes, Anne of Green Gables is a must-read.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! At least they keep adapting the books, so even non-readers can enjoy Anne.

      Delete
  6. Great list of books!! I so hope my daughter reads Nancy Drew because I have fond memories of reading that series. I want to read Wonder soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking Drew was making a resurgence when they made the movie a while back and then there was a TV series in the works, but it fell through. I think she is a timeless heroine, and would love to see future generations exposed to her. Wonder was incredible. I actually want to see the film too, because I thought the casting of the parents was so well done. They totally fit the picture of Auggie's parents in my head.

      Delete
  7. Yes, Nancy Drew!! I read those when I was a kid, and I got them from my aunts - those books definitely transcend the generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome that the love of Nancy Drew was passed down through your family.

      Delete
  8. Little House- the books and the show *nods* So agree. Winnie the Pooh definitely, and Nancy Drew as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually difficult picking which books from my early youth to include, but I knew those three HAD to be on the list. I read A LOT as a kid. Hiding away at the Brooklyn Public Library for days on end. So many fantastic books were available, and I am happy to say, many are considered classics now (as quite a few were back then).

      Delete
  9. I'm totally with you on Winnie the Pooh and Wonder! I read the Little House books growing up, but I don't think I ever watched the show!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but I appreciate a lot of those classic children's stories more now than I did then. They are really so meaningful, and own a little piece of my heart. I used to watch Little House whenever it was on. I saw the play a few years ago (Melissa Gilbert played Ma - it was fabulous). I will always be a LH fangirl.

      Delete
  10. I owned the Little House series for many years before I passed it on. Now, I'm wishing I had held on to my set and just purchased a new one to give away. Nancy Drew and Anne of Green Gables are also great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's sort of beautiful that you passed on such well loved books. Hopefully the recipient also passes them on.

      Delete
  11. What a brilliant selection, especially Winnie The Pooh and Anne of Green Gables. I've actually never read Wonder, despite how many readers have loved and recommended it to me. Finally just added it to my Goodreads list to remind myself to grab a copy. Wonderful list Sam, looking forward to checking a few of these out <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a ton of middle grades books, but Wonder made me change my mind about that genre. The big idea of choosing kindness is one we need reminding of, especially lately. Palacio did it so well too. It felt genuine, not preachy, and the multiple POVs really added a lot. It's a book I whole-heartedly recommend to readers of all ages. I suggest looking for the edition with the Julian Chapter included, because grandmere's story will leave you a puddle.

      Delete
  12. Love the idea of a book legacy for future genration, for all ages :) Lots of great choices oon your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to pick a mix. I definitely leaned heavily towards children's books, but I feel like these are books that can be read and enjoyed by all ages, and also have such timeless messages.

      Delete
  13. I heard great things about Wonder. I'm going for sure check that book out. Also adore Winnie-the-Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will shout it from the mountaintops: Wonder is ah-mazing. It's beauty is in it's simplicity and the lovely messages contained therein.

      Delete
  14. Great books! I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, but haven't read that in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a re-reader, but I have tuned in for the adaptations of the books (Megan Follows' version is still my favorite).

      Delete
  15. Love your list, Little House, Anne of Green Gables and Emily are on my list for my kids as well as Harry Potter and I want them to love the Great Brain Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read The Great Brain books, but have always love Mayer's illustrations.

      Delete
  16. Daughter of The Pirate King is one of my favourite reads of the year, so much fun!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/top-ten-tuesday-133/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOPK made my favorites list this year too. I wish I had Siren Queen right now!

      Delete
  17. Dr. Seuss made my list too. I loved his books as a kid.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Seuss had some great messages contained in his stories, and I associate a lot of great childhood memories with his books. (Richard Scary too)

      Delete
  18. Aww these are such lovely choices! I hope your grandkids do read these for sure! It's funny because I do the same thing with my mom- recommend all the books but then don't read her stuff. To be fair though, she never asked haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness to my daughter, our tastes are very different. She gravitates towards fantasy, paranormals, dystopians, and I love sappy contemporaries.

      Delete
  19. I loved Encyclopedia Brown and Nancy Drew!
    http://www.jenryland.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maw Maw...that' so cute. I think Anne is the perfect book to share with a young child. Anne is just the right amount of loveable and ridiculous. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I will be the kooky grandma, so Maw Maw seems like the name I should have my future grandchildren call me. Anne is wonderfully ridiculous, which is why even Marilla Cuthbert couldn't resist her.

      Delete
  21. I still need to try Wonder, no idea why I haven't already actually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's short. I promise, if you read it, you won't regret it (I hope). It just made my heart explode and filled me with hope in humanity.

      Delete
  22. I sometimes can't believe how many golden quotes are sourced in Winnie The Pooh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazes me how much wisdom is hidden in Children's books, and Pooh definitely has a ton of fantastic life lessons to share.

      Delete